51 South Spring, Elgin, IL 60120
Peter Burritt’s second wife named this 1908 Utilitarian Commercial building in honor of Peter’s first wife, Henrietta. Swan’s Department Store occupied the building until 1938, followed by Sears until 1980 when it was converted into the downtown campus of Elgin Community College. It is now ArtSpace Lofts, an artist’s colony.
The Henrietta Building is designed in a simplified Romanesque Revival style, which is a style employed beginning in the mid-19th century inspired by the 11th- and 12th-century Romanesque architecture. Unlike the historic Romanesque style, however, Romanesque Revival buildings tended to feature more simplified arches and windows than their historic counterparts.