The Rockford Diocese acquired the G. P. Lord School in 1941, which was originally built in 1877 as a public grade school. St. Edward High School opened later that year with eight classrooms and a cafeteria. The school was named St. Edward in honor of the patron saint of Bishop Edward Hoban and dedicated on the eve of the Feast of St. Edward, October 12, 1941. Four sisters of the order of St. Dominic from Adrian, Michigan provided the faculty for the school. Tuition was five dollars a month.
Since those early days, classrooms have been added, along with science laboratories, computer labs, lunchrooms, a sports field, and two gyms. Since its humble beginnings, St. Edward students have won awards in every academic area from speech to science. They have excelled on sports teams as well. St. Edward students have volunteered their services to a great variety of charitable and service organizations. As alumni, they can be found in business, professional, teaching, religious life, and entertainment fields. They are testimony to the value of a liberal arts education within a religious context.
St. Edward Central Catholic High School celebrates over 80 years of providing Excellence in Education in a Christ-centered faith community. St. Edward will maintain its offer to students of a progressive curriculum designed to prepare today’s students for tomorrow’s realities.