225 Jewett St, Elgin, IL 60123
The Rockford Diocese purchased the property on the northeast and southeast corners of Jewett. As construction began on the new church, Mass was first offered in a building owned by the Elgin Knights of Columbus, at 10 Villa Street. On September 15, 1929, the first Mass was offered in a newly completed Tudor Gothic structure. Three days later, the parish school opened with an enrollment of 140 students. The Sisters of Mercy, whose Mother-house was then in Aurora, Il accepted the responsibility for the instruction of the children.
A remodeling of the building was completed in 1950, which included numerous improvements in parish facilities. A complete redecoration and refurnishing of the church were completed in time for the Silver Jubilee Anniversary of the parish on October 14, 1954. In March 1960, an addition of four classrooms, a multi-purpose room, a music room, a library and a gymnasium was dedicated.
The church underwent a renovation on the interior beginning in 1971 under the guidance of Father Philip O’Neil. The church was closed for about 5 weeks with mass being celebrated in the auditorium. The re-dedication took place on November 28, 1971. In 2003 the parish undertook a major renovation on the building to add a narthax, elevator and sacristy. The renovation also enlarged the balcony and returned the church to a more traditional look. It is how the church stands today.