In the last few years of the 1880s, Albert F. Volsch and his brother Julius officially went into business together and their firm was known as “Volsch Bros.” The building located at 111 Douglas Avenue is to this day referred to as the Volsch Bros. building and was noted as such in the City of Elgin’s nomination for the Downtown Elgin Commercial Historic District application for the National Register of Historic Places.
Those familiar with those buildings along Douglas across the street from City Hall may also know that at 109 Douglas there is a painted sign on the brick still visible today, advertising for the Volsch Bros. meat market.
The Volsch Bros. meat market continued in Elgin at the same location, 109-111 Douglas, for more than half a century. Julius’ son, Louis, continued the business in partnership with Charles Fillmore. The name had changed to The Douglas Meat Market and remained in operation for a number of more years.
Albert Volsch died October 8, 1934 and was survived by his wife until her passing in 1951.